It’s all about God. I keep forgetting that. In my egocentricity, I keep thinking it’s about me, it’s about us, it’s about man.
And God has done amazing things on behalf of man.
But still, the world doesn’t revolve around man, it’s about God.
What did Jesus tell us should be the first thing to pray? About us and our needs? No, “Our Father in heaven, HOLY IS YOUR NAME.”
What is the greatest commandment? To love God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind.
What does God say about himself and his purpose? “But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Ex 9:16
God’s name must be proclaimed. He must be glorified as the almighty and only supreme being. Here are some other verses about this:
- I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I am proved holy through you before their eyes. Ex 36:23
- If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name–the LORD your God—Deut 28:58
- As for the foreigner who does not belong to your people Israel but has come from a distant land because of your name— for they will hear of your great name and your mighty hand and your outstretched arm I Kings 8:41-42 (Solomon praying at the dedication of the temple.)
- I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols. Is 42:8
- I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay on them. Eze 39:21
- For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. Hab 2:1
One thing I am growing in recently is an appreciation of the need to glorify God. I think we have a deep need to worship a transcendent God, and this can only happen when we appreciate the awesome and majestic holiness of God.
It’s all about God, and we are happiest when we acknowledge this. Worship expresses the utter truth.
Yesterday I got with Marge, our women’s leader, and we started talking about the different women in our ministry. As we talked, I started to get more and more anxious. There are so many needs, and not enough of me to go around and meet those needs! Finally I got out my guitar and sang some psalms to God. I had to get the focus off of myself.
Sometimes I think I want it to be about me, but if it were really about me, I would explode. I can’t be God. It needs to be about HIM and only HIM.
This morning as I was praying, I remembered a song that reflects this insight:
This day is not my day
These possessions are not mine.
Time and physical existence
Are the Lord’s domain — a matrix of God
In Him we live and move and have our being.
So what conceit to live apart from Him.
The way to be in harmony with God,
with everything around us
Is just to praise, just to praise.
Every particle of my being
Wants to resonate with praise.
It is right, it is right
What I was created to do.
It’s all about God, and this needs to be more of my mindset. I’m looking forward to reading more verses that help me to grow in this. And may I leave a trail of God’s glory behind me as I go.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. I Cor 10:31