I realized this week that I have been too focused on what I’m doing — how much I’m praying, how much I’m reaching out, what my attitude should be, what my heart should be. I’m intent on my schedule and my list of things to do.
Instead I should be focused on what God is doing. I’ve started writing down what I see Him doing. In any situation, instead of thinking what I should be doing, I’ve started looking for what God is doing. I think, “God brought that person to me. How is God working in their life?” Or, “This didn’t go as expected. What could God be doing here?”
This has been SUPER helpful in having the right outlook. It feels much better.
In the same way, I started thinking about why God wants people to be saved. From my perspective, I want them to have all that I have — a vibrant life with God, and hope of eternal life. But what does God want?
God also wants us to have a vibrant life. I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10
God wants to be loved, and revered as the MOST HIGH. Jesus said the most important commandment is, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” Mark 12:30
God wants us to spend time with Him. I love spending time with my kids. God loves for us to talk with Him, worship with Him, include Him in whatever we are doing. “And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8
God wants us to make good choices and be obedient. He cares about us enough to not want us to make destructive choices that will ruin our lives, and the lives of those around them. “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” Deut 30:19
BUT MOST OF ALL, I THINK GOD WANTS US TO BE HIS VERY OWN HOLY PEOPLE, HIS CHILDREN, HIS BELOVED BRIDE.
- As it says in Eph 4:24. We were created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- In Ephesians 1, “He chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ.”
- Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, . . . to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. Eph 5:26-27
As His people, God wants us to be PRODUCTIVE for GOOD. This is what we were created to do. It is our innate purpose. We are to leaven the world with good works.
- For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Eph 2:10
- Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. II Tim 2:21
- who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. Titus 2:14
- Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives. Titus 3:14
- Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Matt 7:9
And then God will be glorified. This is the natural order of things, that the sovereign, merciful, all-powerful Creator God would be glorified through us.
- In him we were also chosen . . . in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. Eph 1:11, 12.
- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. Is 43:7
- In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matt 5:16
And then God can have his cherished children with him forever.
- Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, John 17:24.
- Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. Matt 25:34
- And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. John 6:39
Father, may we not just focus on what we should do, or what we want, but understand what YOU want.
We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. Col 1:9-12