The more I read the Old Testament, the more I am amazed. The whole Bible comes together more. I understand more about God, and I am more in awe of Him.
I am beginning to put together an Old Testament Survey, focusing on themes that continue through the whole Bible, New Testament included. This is today’s entry.
We are made to be noble. We are made in the image of God
- “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” Gen 1:26
God wants to shower us with blessings.
- “Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.” Gen 1:29
- Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. The LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground–trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. Gen 2:8-9
God wants to fellowship with us, He wants a relationship with us
- Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” Gen. 3:8-9
God gives us boundaries. God expects for us to fight to make good choices and live up to being made in His image.
- “And the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” Gen 2:16-17
- “If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” Gen. 4:7
But mankind has not made good choices, but instead pursued his own selfish desires, and this grieves God.
- “The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.” Gen. 6:5-6
Still, there have always been a few individuals who stand up for what is right, and look towards God.
- “Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.” Gen 6:9
God established covenants with man, facilitating a RELATIONSHIP with them and allowing Him to BLESS them.
- I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.” Gen 9:11
- The Lord had said to Abram… “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you;….and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Gen 12:1,3